Saturday, March 10, 2012

ITS TIME TO FIRE IT UP BABY!



I live in a foodie township! Every celebration revolves around food, especially in the summer here. Funnel cakes, BBQ competitions, corn dogs on a stick, car shows, fried twinkies, fried pickles, Superman celebration, pork burgers with mustard and onions.... We celebrate, walk around, stop and talk to each other, eat, listen to music, go home, come back in the evening and do it all over again! Then we get on the phone to our friends the next day, "Girl, did you get some of that BBQ chicken on the right hand side, set up in front of the hardware store? Girl, that was some good chicken!" No, but did you go up the street, about 4 vendors up from there, and get one of those bloomin onions?" "We went to that stand in front of the dog groomin place, and got some sliced BBQ beef, that was good, but they were were a lil skimpy with their meat!" On, and on the conversation goes.

Last year my parents were cleaning out their garage, and found a brand new grill used only once! I used to grill out all the time and invite my parents over and my sister. We'd sit out in the yard under the umbrella and talk and eat, and wave at our friends as they honked their horns, or stopped to yell out across the yard and talk a while. No body dared parked their car and pulled up a seat for food! We small town folk, but we ain't that small town! We may raise our glass to ya, or wave a drumstick or an ear of corn at ya, but don't park the car and get out. Its an unwritten rule and everybody knows it! There was no invite, and it didn't get lost in the mail!

So back to my train of thought...my parents are really slick when treating my sister and me equally. I'm the only one that grills. Sista does have a grill but its just for looks. She built a new deck on to her house a couple of years ago and bought a grill to set on the deck. Never been used. But my mom calls me up and says, "Your dad and I found a gas grill in the back of the garage. I think I won it at bingo at the plant employee picnic one summer.  Course, we're never gonna use it again." Pause. So I say, "I'd like to have a gas grill and start grill out again." "Well, I asked your sister, and of course she's already got one she doesn't even use, so it's yours if you want to come get it." So basically, she told my sister she had a free grill she didn't need, since she wasn't using the one she had,  and she was going to ask if I was interested in it. Slick I tell ya, slick!

So, that's how I ended up with a free, once used gas grill. That was last summer. I never did get around to grilling on it because I was in overload mode from all the city celebrations that revolved around food!

Last weekend after the all the stress from dealing during the week with the 2 tornadoes in and around us, the sirens waking us up in the mornings, and staying after work in the shelter of the building where I work, I had had enough of near death, and loss of possession, home, and neighboring townships. The very next day was a warm Saturday, and it was a beautiful, sunny  day! I decided to clean up the grill and buy a tank of propane, so I could be ready at a moments notice to, "Fire it up baby!" Found a couple of steaks on sale to stow away in the freezer till a perfect day to grill. Which, by the way I just heard on my new weather radio will be this coming Tuesday...sunny and high 70's!

I've decided to name my grill, "Grateful!"  Every time I grill on sunny days, I'm going to remember just how blessed I am! God is soooo good to us! That unseasonably Saturday after a week of stress was no coincidence!

Peace out to ya from Flowerchic! Go out and have a great one for me.

I'm leavin you with 3 of my fav songs to pep your Saturday up with. I'll probably have these playing on my iPod while I sittin out grillin! No, I'm not telling you what they are, you'll just have to be surprised as you tap your feet and listen!

http://youtu.be/vaiT2ignyEc

http://youtu.be/5WC14jvYHKA

http://youtu.be/ZrJwrPWuQrI

No comments:

Post a Comment