Saturday, July 24, 2010

BEST MEAL EVER AND GEMS TO TREASURE

The other day I threw together the best meal. My mom had given me a quart jar of canned green beans, I had a small bag of mixed pasta, where there was a little bit of this and a little bit of that of different shapes and sizes of pasta that on their own, each made barely enough for one serving. I found a can of stewed tomatoes, one yellow squash, potatoes, about two servings of broccoli, smoke jowl, and I had two pork chops, but I decided I wanted an all veggie meal. Then I had a box of chamomile tea that I brewed, and made me a big quart jar of iced tea. I love to pull together a hodgepodge of items from my freezer, pantry, and refrigerator and see what I can create for a meal. The smoke jowl, green beans, onion, garlic, red pepper, S&P went into one pot, with potatoes added later. The yellow squash got sliced and added to it the frozen broccoli, garlic, onion, EVO, chicken bouillon cube, and cooked pasta with the stewed tomatoes added later. For dinner I had green beans and potatoes with good old smoke jowl, tender as can be, a sweet potato cornbread muffin, squash and broccoli pasta, and a quart jar of chamomile iced tea. After I plated my meal and prayed over it, I thought this is a meal my grandmother would have made for me down in brownfield IL. My mom said they never wasted anything, and used everything.

Speaking of dinner, I ate over at my mom and dad's house Friday. While I was there, Linda permed mom's hair so she would look pretty for the annual BBQ in Brownfield, IL, which is in Pope County. They go every year and visit with old friends. It is a 100 year old event that they celebrate year after year on the small church grounds that my mother had belonged to when she was a small child. They have their own cemetery there, where the old timers come in a view the headstones of past love ones. My great grandfather and great uncles used to work along side the Crim family, which has carried down the tradition from generation to generation. They hold the tricks of the trade, and the secret recipe for the sauce, and the cooking of the meat. When they sell out of BBQ, people cry. I remember the year they were making that movie down in Karnak IL called the U.S. Marshalls staring Wesley Snipes and Tommy Lee Jones. The movie crew saw the flyers or heard about the BBQ and bought out the BBQ before mom and dad and people who come from far away could get any. Oh, Lord. People were upset. We missed seeing the flyers out this year, they are usually posted on the light posts, and store windows all over town. I guess they have done away with that. Mom last month had to get out her calendar and count up to the 4th Saturday in July to mark it on her calendar. Same time, same place for generations. They'll sit out there in the hot sun most of the day, and come back with a glow that comes from riding down the back roads of Brownfield, good tasting BBQ, that you can get only once a year, and a bag full of pork skins to go into the oven. Later in the day, mom will call Linda and me over for some oven cooked pork rinds, fresh. We have had the fresh pork rind dinners every since I was a kid, and I look forward to it. One year Jimmy ran out, and daddy was mad as stink, and stewed about it for days. The following year, he got mom up early so he could get down there for his fresh pork skins.

Caity got her walk in as promised. It had been two days, so she started out straining on her leash walking at a pretty brisk pace. I asked, "Caity, what's the big hurry!" She conveyed, "It's been two whole days since I visited this alley, and there is no telling what all has gone on without my knowings!" She led the way to her old haunts and wanted to branch off down a new alley, but I axed that until I can drive down there and see if there are any dogs. In the country there are porch dogs and under the trailer dogs lurking to bite your ankles and give a good chase. In Metropolis, there are alley dogs. People who don't want their dogs messing their yards up, chain them just inside their backyard by the alley, dog house and all, so they can enjoy their full yards. When you go walking down the alley, these dog jump out at you. Bless their heart they don't get any socialization that way, which defeats the purpose of owning a dog. I guess they see it as the dog gets fed and watered, and the owner gets protection of their property. When the dog needs exercise they unchain the dog and let it run loose for exercise. The dog comes home and they chain it back up. Sad to watch. These are not run down houses either.

Caity is a rescue dog. Before I got her she was given to a shelter by a breeder who bought her to breed believing she was to be a small Yorkshire Terrier. But she turned out a Silky Terrier. She was not placed at a no kill shelter and her time was running out. So, a rescue shelter came and got her. I was searching the Internet for a small Yorkie female. I was in the process of adopting one, but she tested positive for heart worms, and was pulled from the adoption list for treatment. So, Jill who I was working with, said she had a friend who had just rescued a Yorkie and asked if I would be interested in adopting her dog or I could wait till the dog named Sally finished her treatments and tested negative. Sally was show quality beautiful and full of energy, but I did not want to wait. I e-mailed Jill to send me pictures of then named Melissa, who did not know her name even. She was filthy dirty, hair matted on her back leg, had not had her hair cut in a while, and Jill said she still stunk after her first bath given by her rescue friend. She was the saddest looking dog I had ever seen. Her little eyes showed no happiness and she kept her mouth shut, no tongue hanging out. I e-mailed Jill back I would take her "as is" sight unseen other than the one picture, and offered a fair price to Jill, who accepted. I drove down to Dyersburg TN with Linda and picked her up. Linda saw me carry her out and said, "That is one big Yorkie." Yorkies and Silkies get mixed up a lot at birth by inexperienced breeders. When I brought Caity home, she was meaner than a snake & hated Ziggy. I wanted to give up on her more than once in the beginning, but I had prayed for, and over Caity, the little dog with sad eyes, who was so unkept. With a firm hand and lots, and lots, of love, and training she is a sweet, loving, bright, and trainable dog, and the most sought after little dog. Caity loves Ziggy to the brink of driving him crazy sometimes. Before going to a breeder, please check out the animal rescues, and animal shelters first. You never know what gem you might discover.

I thought I had nothing to talk about today. But I proved myself wrong. COME TO THE PURPLE DOOR WITH FLOWERCHIC again soon! There is sure to be something here to tickle your fancy. Stay blessed.

FLOWERCHIC

No comments:

Post a Comment