Tuesday, April 3, 2012

HEY GRANDPA! WHAT'S FOR SUPPER!

Well I made it back from eating sashimi at Jasmine's! I had the Tuna Lover's lunch with my friend, Charlotte, she and I are both foodies. Charlotte is teaching me joys of eating sushi and sashimi.

Afterwards, I went to Aldi to go shopping for groceries for Sunday's dinner. I have decided that I am grilling dinner rain or shine.  I am serving a seafood dinner. I am going totally non-traditional, which I usually do! So the menu will be grilled Tilapia, scallops, and shrimp, as well as asparagus, orange and red peppers, purple onions, mixed with yellow squash and zucchini and huge baked potatoes with chive and sour cream. The last time I made the veggie dish I did it in the oven and they loved it! They will really love it fresh off the grill with a smoky wood chip taste to it. 

For drinks, I'm mixing a cool concoction that is so very simple! Take individual bottles of Perrier water, place them in the refrigerator, when ready to sit down to dinner add individual packets of Crystal Light packets to each bottle. The mineral water is what makes this so refreshing! Want to add pizzazz, take a mason jar and add blueberries, pineapple chucks, raspberries, and blackberries for a cool look!

For dessert I am fixing a blueberry pie with a scoop of Prairie Farms vanilla ice cream. Pie crust is in the fridge and canned blueberries are on the shelf. Fresh blueberries are too expensive. Blueberry pie is one of my mom's favorites.



Well I gotta sneak a pet update in here. Caity's glamour spa day went well. I gave her a bath, I clipped her nails, administered her flea and heart worm meds and her stomach worm pills (cause she eats ahem-unmentionables when we go on walks. She is so quick to eat stuff, before I can get a chance to stop her.) And I trimmed her back side. For those of you who don't know, I am on a mission to stay within budget, and one of my cuts is pet grooming. So, I am doing Caity grooming myself. To glam it up, I'm calling it our spa day! So far she has been looking pretty good. I'm no professional, but she still looks better afterward than she did before. Ha!

I love going to flea markets! After shopping, I went to my favorite place and bought my tomato plant, and I picked up a few gifts for a friend who is forever giving from her heart, and who has blessed me many times. So come Monday, I will box them up and send them off to her. Its just a bunch of cool, funky one of a kind stuff. I'm placing them all in a nifty handmade bag and shipping them off to her with no forward notice. I may try to make her one of my greeting cards. I love to make my own cards and give them away! It makes the whole gift giving a total love feast.



Today, I decided to make Flowerchic's World Famous Egg Salad! I make great egg salad! I hated egg salad as a kid, and refused to eat it. Then one day Martha Stewart made it, and I went straight to my kitchen and duplicated it. That's the thing about egg salad, most all of the ingredients are in your kitchen. However, I have seen and heard of some exotic ingredients in egg salad. Egg salad is not tuna salad minus the tuna. It is not potato salad minus the the potatoes. Its a simple salad! Its what Mrs. Farmer Brown made when she had too many eggs! Ha! Its what mother's made when they needed to stretch "daddy's" pay check. Yes, I'm from the tail end of that June Cleaver era. Its inexpensive, easy, and delish, not to mention quick.

You mash 8 boiled eggs, add salt and pepper, mustard, chopped celery. Wahla! You have egg salad. The key is to get fresh eggs, there is a difference. You want to jazz it up, add sea salt, and fresh ground pepper. I don't like my food to look like a color wheel, so I add mustard powder, but to each his/her own. I use celery hearts and the tender stalks. I always eat mine with a really beefy tomato. I love it on garlic toast with radicchio lettuce or red leaf lettuce, and hey, I'm good! Sometimes I add a few herbs that I especially like too. Add a glass of ice tea with lemon and I'm really good!

I live a very basic and simple life, with ups and downs like everyone else, but for the most part, chugged full of joy. Three maybe four years ago, I learned the difference between joy and happiness, and my life has been forever changed. For I learned that I can have very little and have the gift of laughter, which is free of charge. I can be in the middle of a horrible day, where I do declare no one loves me, and I can sing a lil diddy of praise to God, and he shows up with tons of love. I can see into the future, past my current circumstances, to what God has promised me, and find my outlook has shifted to the better. I can close my eyes, and be silent, and block the world around me out, just by singing a praise song in my head, or by encouraging myself with a scripture. My fav, Proverb 3:5-8 or my dad's fav, Psalm 121:1-3.


So, whats your fav scripture that gets you thru? Feel free to post a comment, or tweet me.


FLOWERCHIC

No comments:

Post a Comment