Sunday, April 8, 2012

WHAT IS IT WITH THIS GENERATION AND SHUTTING DOORS!

I watched my mom as she went into church today. There are at least 7 steps into our church sanctuary. She holds on to the rail as she maneuvers each step with her purse and cane. Then she makes her way into the pew where we normally sit. Mom has arthritis in her hands and fingers, her wrist, and her spine, she walks with a cane sometimes, but not all the time. She never gives up. Every day she has a plan for things that need to be done.  She is slow, but steady, and very determined. She carries herself well. 


I made her bed for her today after church. And I didn't tuck the sides in, just at the foot of the bed. I remembered. I no longer feel the need to tuck the sides of the sheet in three fourth of the way up the mattress. I have prayed away all the night monsters that might grab her leg in the night! She is not afraid of the night monsters grabbing her leg and has requested that I just tuck the sheet in at the foot of the bed. This is our joke.




In church, we shared laughs, and smiles, and whispered like school girls! Lately, I've been on her about putting some "umph" into shutting doors, especially the passenger car door. I've told her, "One of these days, we're going to walk out of church to a dead battery." This morning her response was, "Your door is too heavy for me." Today, she met an old friend who was coming in the door to church as we were going out. As I turned to check on mom, I noticed the door to church was standing wide open. Shortly, one of the members came and waved as she came to shut the door to the sanctuary, behind mom's friend, who is around the same age as she. I chuckled and thought to myself, "What is it with this generation and shutting doors!" Then I just smiled as I shook my head. Strength and energy are a few things the young, and the abled take for granted. For some, it takes all they got to do the things others think nothing of. 


My sister and I laugh about this, and are determined in our minds today, that we shall shut all doors firmly in our advanced years!


The time I spend with my parents...I count it all joy as an adult woman. They are both true blessing in my life.


Flowerchic 

No comments:

Post a Comment